Heya folks!! As you’ve probably figured out by this point, I finished my first year at uni (it went by so fast??? What??? What do you mean second year??) and have been writing a series of posts featuring tips for surviving living in halls.
I’m back today with a list of things that you may or may not be planning on taking with you – some you’ve probably thought of, some you probably haven’t. These are all things I found useful in my first year, and would definitely recommend taking with you!!
- A lamp; you’ll probably get one on your desk which is great, but my desk was on the other side of the room to me, as was the plug socket. A chargeable lamp is great for late night reading!!
- Lint roller; if you’re using the uni tumble dryers, nothing will ever come out completely lint free. Plus, you can always use this to clean out the bottom of your backpack.
- A reusable water bottle. Preferably one that hasn’t been dropped multiple times. (If you like alcohol, maybe get a second one for that. My flatmate had a bad experience going to her lecture with a bottle that tasted of red wine.)
- Two sets of bed sheets. You don’t wanna be waiting around whilst one set is in the wash.
- Hand sanitiser and wet wipes
- A stash of loo roll (You will run out. Trust me. You will.)
- A stash of sanitary items. Not something you want to run out of, not at all.
- Spare tea towels. Ours were actually minging by the end of the year (mostly because we kept forgetting to wash the damn things; maybe you’ll do slightly better than us.)
- Cash. Try and keep a tenner or twenty in your purse/wallet at all times for emergencies. Shit happens, cards get lost or declined or hacked, and you don’t want to be totally reliant upon them.
Also, if you can, try and keep a handful of pound coins around. They’re good if you have to buy a laundry card, or happen to be peckish and pass a vending machine.
- In a similar vein, you may want a little money tin for spare change. It adds up, and you can always cash it in at the end of each month.
- A. Spare. Glass. (*side-eye to the flatmate who BROKE MINE*)
- A. Spare. Plate. (*side-eye to the dude from another flat who BROKE MINE*)
- Post it notes
- An umbrella. Keep it in your rucksack, and take it if you’re ever going to be some way away from your flat. (*flashbacks to the time I got caught in a hailstorm half an hour away from my flat in nothing but a hoodie*)
- Cushions! If you have someone in your room, it’s something comfortable for them to lean against!
- SLIPPERS. Oh my god, if you take nothing away from this list, take away slippers. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t like wearing my trainers around home (my feet wind up hurting, I normally go round in socks) but our kitchen floor was vile. Take a pair of slippers.
- A stapler, scissors, and tape
- Bright coloured towels! That way you won’t get confused with other people! (Unfortunately, my flatmate had the same bright idea and we both showed up with the same bright blue towels. Sigh.)
That’s about all I’ve got for today! If anyone has anything to add, give me a shout in the comments or on Twitter!
Lots of love,